Friday, May 18, 2007

I Quit

It has now been six months and counting. I quit cold turkey. By the time I did, I was so ready. In fact, there weren't even any withdrawal symptoms--just relief. Everytime I went to that place, time became all distorted. When I would finally emerge into the daylight, what had seemed like five minutes had actually been hours. Huge chunks of my life gone that I could never recover; new wrinkles, gray hairs--I was aging without even knowing where the time went. My marriage suffered as my husband sat at home, waiting and waiting for me to return. I thought it was going to be the easy way out, so convenient and wonderful. Instead, it became a surrealistic nightmare: children screaming everywhere, dead fish floating in soupy green tanks, rows and rows of colored liquids and powders, but never the one I was looking for. Toward the end, I was always in a hurry, but no matter how fast I tried to get my fix and go, I was always caught right before the door, stuck, seeing the way out with no hope of actually exiting. In November, I finally realized I had had enough and it just wasn't worth the pain anymore. So I walked away from Super Wal-Mart forever.

No comments: