Thursday, October 16, 2008

Halloween

Last week, I made a quick stop by CVS pharmacy on my way home from work. When I got home, I handed Jeremy a Mt. Dew and a Caramello--yes, I was buttering him up. Then, I handed him a sack full of Halloween lights. I emphasized the point that I had gone much more "modestly" with the lights than normal also. And I did! I restrained myself, and only bought two strings of orange lights, a black spiderweb set of lights, and a black light for the porch fixture. He looked inside the bag and groaned.

I set out with all intentions of hanging the lights myself. But as most know, my husband especially, if I'm dealing with anything long that can get tangled, it will end up tangled. After approximately 5 minutes of watching me try to untangle the newly tangled lights, he finally just got frustrated (see, I knew this would happen--a happy side effect of my ineptness), and took over. An hour later, all the lights were hung. Then he made the mistake of saying the porch, which is huge, could actually use of few more strings of lights. Luckily, dollar general also carried Halloween lights, so after a quick trip there, we were armed with 3 more sets of lights. As dusk approached, I excitedly turned on the lights and marveled at the beautiful, orange glow. But wait, there's a balcony upstairs above the porch that just seemed a little too dark. . . Fortunately for Jeremy, it was too late to run get more lights that night.

The next day, coming back from mowing the Warner Robins house, I suggested we swing by dollar general again. Wanting to simply run in, grab more lights, and run back out, Jeremy suggested (well, tried to insist) that I stay in the car. By this time, I'd already started thinking about other decorations that would spruce up the house a bit more. Thus, I insisted I go inside. I would guess we spent approximately half an hour in dollar general. I could feel Jeremy trying to suppress his irritation as I repeatedly scanned the autumn scented candles, trying to find the best valued ones. I could hear him mumbling under his breath as I debated on which rug to get for the front porch: a Halloween rug, or a more multipurpose fall themed rug. I could hear him groaning as I sorted through miscellaneous other Halloween decorations, pondering whether to get the glow in the dark window stickies (I did--3 different sets), the wind sock, or the skeleton or frankenstein wind spinner decoration (I settled on the skeleton). All the while, he is clutching the 5 sets (yes, 5 more sets) of orange lights he grabbed right away when we entered the store, when, in some sort of misguided thought process, he still assumed that was all we were getting.

Two hours later, all my decorations were hung, pasted to windows, and strung. Time to flip on the lights and delight in the beautifully glowing orange house. I stood in the yard in front of the house, I moved over to the side of the house, back to the middle, over to the other side, thrilled with my festive home. Jeremy followed me through the yard, more or less just admiring his handiwork in hanging all 10 (or was it 11?) sets of lights. Then, he turned to me, laughed, and said, "We live in the Amityville Whorehouse." Okay, so it might be a tad flamboyant (we have yet to spot anyone else in town--or surrounding towns for that matter--with Halloween lights), but I love my Amityville Whorehouse. Besides, it now makes it even harder to miss. hehe.

No comments: